|Creation (New Players Guide)|
Race - Deity - Class
Gifts - Backgrounds - Alignment
Mark of Destiny - Epic Sacrifice
Customization - Head List - Builds
|Description - Disguise / Covered|
Languages - Experience - Quests
Pickpocket - Rest
Death - Lycanthropy - Investigate
Sequencers - Runic Sequencers
|Settlements - Factions|
Quarters - Shops - Bank
Riding - Sailing
Communication - Portals
Time - Containers/Bags
Radiant Heart - Assassin's Guild
|Item Creation Systems:|
|Alchemy - Art Craft - Carpentry|
Herb - Smith - Tailor
Dweomercraft - Runes
Weapons - Melee / Ranged / Siege
Resources - Poison
|Classes - Skills - Feats|
Spells (list) - Summons
Familiar Reskins - Misc
|Rules - Roleplay - Maps|
Common Bugs - Staff
Support Tickets - Character Remake
This page outlines the Capture System on Arelith
Manacles and Binding
There are six manacle tiers which may be used to bind and inhibit other plays with a lot of nuance and possibilities of counterplay.
- Lasso (the old lasso now uses the new system)
- Manacles (Iron)
- Manacles (Steel)
- Manacles (Mithral)
- Manacles (Adamantine)
- Manacles (Runic)
Additionally, there are Manacle Keys;
- When paired with a set of manacles, creates a unique key set that can be shared, stored and traded freely.
- You can create copies of a key by using the original key on other unassigned keys.
- Manacle keys and their copies cannot be put in the Keyring. it is INTENDED for these to have pickpocket risks.
- Manacle keys do not work on players who have been Lassoed.
- If a player has a paired key, a bound player's description will show it along with the Key ID.
Manacles can be applied to other characters whether subdued or not. These manacles are for opt-in capture roleplay. While you do not need to hostile before using these manacles on another PC, roleplay is required, just like any other Player versus Player action. You may not put manacles on another PC without any prior interaction.
When used on non-subdued targets, it will bring up a conversation menu with three options:
Submit: Automatic success. Use this if you're willing to go along with the RP.
Resist: This is sort of an optional "soft-consent" option which has its own grapple check system. Basically, you would use this if you're willing to go along with the RP, but want to contest the attempt with a bit of dice involved (so that it isn't an automatic success).
Flee: In most cases, could lead to PvP. Use this if you have a plan to escape.
While Subdued, the character is given a different set of options to conform to our PvP rules:
[Submit: Allow Restraint]
[Give Up: Succumb To Wounds]
Submit: As before.
Give Up: If you select this option, it behaves like the -giveup command and sends you to the fugue.
While bound, subjects will have certain penalties to their abilities:
|x% Spell Failure (depends on the type of shackles used, reduced if the subject has Still Spell or Automatic Still Spell)|
|Forced to walk (cannot run)|
|Cannot use portal lenses or attunement potions|
| (Prisoner) tag appended to their name and a description added to their description.|
NOTE: After release, the (Prisoner) tag may remain on the Subjects name. This will disappear in time.
When someone who is bound dies, their Bound status will be removed and any applied bindings/manacles will appear next to their corpse. The Difficulty Checks are based on various ingame factors including player level.
The level of nuance and counterplay with these manacles allows UP TO SIX standard escape methods, along with a few SECRET interactions to give you an advantage in getting out. The options for releasing binds are the following:
- Accessible by using a Manacle Key item on a set of Manacles:
- Open with key (auto success if it's the correct key, not applicable to lasso)
- Accessible by using new "-uncuff" command (type "-uncuff ?" for help):
- Untie Others (Lasso only. No check required- automatic success)
- Sleight of Hand (Self Only, with opposed spot checks to detect)
- Open Lock (Can't be used on Lasso. Opposed by all three perception skills: spot, search, listen to detect)
- Strength (Uses your Hard strength to see if you're strong enough to break the bindings)
- Other FOIG methods which will not be documented
Additionally, as a fallback option and to help you retain your capability of choice, there is a new command you may use while bound: "-optout" (type "-optout ?" for help). This is an OOC command that can be used to free yourself from the binding system when you have no other options. Please note that this should be considered A LAST RESORT. Using "-optout" to free yourself from binding systems should be done responsibly. It's recommended that you use it IMMEDIATELY if you don't want to proceed with the roleplay, not after accepting manacles and keeping them on for a length of time. In short, this is to be considered an OOC method of escape, to be used in severe situations only. DMs will be watching.
Using this method will send the player to the Fugue without leaving behind a body. As the player is entering the fugue, this does count towards Marks death counters.
These messages will be shown when -optout is used.
You have triggered the -optout command. This is an OOC method of escaping bound roleplay. By opting out, you agree that your character has no memories of these events and you are required to follow the same 48 hour rule as with PvP. If you are absolutely sure you wish to proceed with this, type the command again within the next 30 seconds to confirm.
CAPTOR (and others in vicinity)
<playername> has used the OOC -optout method to release themselves from the roleplay. Whatever their reasons, you may come up with a reason for closure. Perhaps a guard came to take them away, they escaped, were perhaps executed, or some other method. Please report this incident if you have any concerns.
|Item||Open Lock DC Modifier||Sleight of Hand DC Modifier||Strength Threshold||Applied Spell Failure||Attrition Degradation|
Degradation, also referred to as Attrition Degradation, is applied upon repeated failed attempts to break free. Each attempt will lower the DCs by the degradation number. The minimum Soft strength required to accrue Attrition Degradation is 10 less than the Manacle Threshold which is required to cause degradation via the strength check. For example, you would need at least 10 strength to degrade a lasso via strength. Strength checks can only cause degradation 10 times on failed checks, after which the DC can no longer be lowered via Strength.
- There is an additional +1 to the DC per 6 HD of the captive (to make the baselines more fair to lower level characters).
- A bound subject has a -5 penalty to the Manacle Strength attempt for their own bindings.
- For Sleight of Hand and Open Lock, the final DC is (Bound Character's Level +3) + DC Modifier of Manacle Skill Threshold - Total Attrition Degradation.
- Still Spell, Automatic Still Spell I, and Automatic Still spell II reduce the Applied Spell Failure by 25% each. This is cumulative. Having all three will give a 75% reduction for example, making Manacles (Adamantine) have 25% Applied Spell Failure instead of its normal 100%.
- Automatic Still spell III removes Applied Spell Failure entirely except for Runic Manacles. Instead, it reduces it by 25% (Becoming 75%)
- Polymorphing/Shapeshifting now releases you from manacles, except in the case of Runic Manacles, which now outright prevent polymorphing and shapeshifting.
- If you're attempting to shapeshift/polymorph by item, a Sleight of Hand check is required to succeed.
- Silver manacles force werewolves back to their normal form and prevent the transformation. Runic manacles don't prevent it, but survive the transformation. All other restraints are dropped on polymorph.
Manacles and Key Recipes
|Manacle Key||1974||5||1||1000 gold||1 Ingot (Iron)
|1 Manacle Key|
|Manacles (Iron)||1975||8||15||1200 gold||1 Ingot (Iron)
1 Flasks of Oil
|1 Manacles (Iron)|
|Manacles (Steel)||1976||15||30||1200 gold||1 Ingot (Steel)
1 Flasks of Oil
|1 Manacles (Steel)|
|Manacles (Mithral)||1977||23||60||1200 gold||1 Ingot (Mithral)
1 Flasks of Oil
|1 Manacles (Mithral)|
|Manacles (Adamantine)||1978||29||90||1200 gold||1 Ingot (Adamantine)
1 Flasks of Oil
|1 Manacles (Adamantine)|
|Manacle Key||1981||5||1||1000 gold||1 Ingot (Iron)
|1 Manacle Key|
|Manacles (Runic)||1980||40||120||1200 gold||1 Manacles (Adamantine)
1 Greater Spell Mantle Scroll
1 Flawed Chardalyn Stone
|1 Manacles (Runic)|
|Manacles (Silver)||###||21||40||### gold||1 Ingot (Silver)
1 Flasks of Oil
|1 Manacles (Silver)|