|Settlements - Factions|
Quarters - Shops - Bank
Riding - Sailing
Communication - Portals
Time - Containers/Bags
|Description - Disguise / Covered|
Languages - Experience - Quests
Pickpocket - Rest
Death - Lycanthropy
|Classes - Skills - Feats|
Spells - Summons - Misc
|Rules - Roleplay - Maps|
Common Bugs - Staff
This page lists and explains Skills which work differently on Arelith than in Vanilla NWN.
Many Skills are useful in Dialogues throughout the servers, with NPCs or other objects. These can allow PCs to access services, areas and so on which are generally not available. Which Skills have uses such as these, and what they "unlock", is Find Out In Game information.
Note: Conversation checks for Intimidate, Leadership (formerly Persuade), Perform and Bluff scale based upon character level. This does not affect PvP mechanics such as Disguise and Mimic.
Animal Empathy: Characters with 75% or more of their levels as ranger levels can turn animals into henchmen, allowing them to use Animal Empathy on more than one animal at one time. Additionally, neutral animals usually attack those that get too close, but Animal Empathy will be passively rolled against the animals' CR to keep them neutral in these cases.
Appraise: Does not affect buying prices from NPCs, only when selling. A higher appraise score will increase both the item value and the "gold cap per item" that the store allows. Dealing with a trader from the same settlement will factor positively in the reaction. All sources of the appraise skill are valid. In a party, the largest appraise bonus is used, provided the party ally is close enough. The reaction roll does not reset each time talking to the vendor, but instead, once every two hours. Traders are race and subrace-sensitive.
- Ability modifier: none (but gets benefit from intelligence).
- Requires training: No.
- Fighters, rogues, rangers, assassins, arcane archers, harpers, zhents, monks and barbarians no longer receive +1 per climb per level to pass climb DC checks, but now have Climb as a class skill. All other classes are cross-class.
- Air genasi and level 12+ swashbucklers no longer automatically pass climb checks. Instead air genasi receive half of their total level as a bonus, and swashbucklers receive half of their class level.
- Allows for a Take 20 when the character is not in combat.
Craft Armor: Merged, along with Craft Weapon into a Custom skill called Craft Mastery.
Craft Mastery: Arelith uses its own system for crafting. Craft Armor and Craft Weapon have been combined into a single skill: Craft Mastery.
- Every 10 (hard) ranks in Craft Mastery increases your mundane dweomercraft tier by 1.
- Each rank in Craft Mastery adds +1 crafting point to use per day
- Only skill points received from base ranks and Craft Mastery feats add to the daily crafting points
- Crafting feats also affect both Magic and Mundane dweomercraft rank.
Craft Trap: Traps have undergone extensive changes on Arelith. See Trap for details.
Craft Weapon: Merged, along with Craft Armor into a Custom skill called Craft Mastery.
Leadership: A new custom Skill replacing Persuade. Leadership applies bonuses to Henchmen with an INT greater than 9, and to PC party members when the character is assigned as party leader and the party members are within 20 meters of the leader.
Merits of the Leadership Skill
- Soft skill totals - Modifiers count
- Bonuses are cumulative across skill points
|Skill Rank||Henchmen||Party Members|
|5||+1 all saves vs. fear||---|
|10||+1 AB||+1 all saves vs. fear|
|15||+1 universal save||+1 vs. mind-affecting|
|20||+1 AC||+5% movement speed increase|
|30||+1 universal save||+1 fortitude save|
|50||+1 universal save||+1 AB|
|Add.||+(Leadership/10) Temp HP||+1 all saves vs. fear for every 5 ranks above 50|
2. Bounty Collection:
- Value of bounties is increased by 10% per base (Hard) Leadership skill rank.
3. Common Touch:
- When standing in an election, you gain bonus votes for yourself for every 10 base (Hard) ranks in Leadership:
- 10 ranks: 1 extra vote
- 20 ranks: 1d2 extra votes
- 30 ranks: 1d3 extra votes
- This represents your character inspiring NPCs to vote for you. It does not confer any bonus unless you are the one standing in an election.
- Note: Conversation leadership (previously persuade) checks remain.
Lore & Use Magic Device: -Lore & UMD No amount of UMD enables the use of scrolls. Their use is strictly limited by these conditions:
1) It's a scroll with no restriction, like Raise Dead or Restoration.
2) It's a scroll that belongs to one of the character's class spell lists, and they have access to a spell level that's at least half, rounded up, of the spell level at which the spell on the scroll appears in their spell list, and the relevant primary casting ability modifier for that class matches or exceeds that spell level.
3) They have enough Lore to beat a check based on the spell's innate level that allows them to circumvent any limitations.
4) If the character is a specialist wizard, they can't use scrolls from their opposed school.
Sources of Lore which contribute to the Lore value used for scroll usage:
Skill Ranks, Intelligence modifier, + Lore on equipment, the Dwarven bonus to Lore, Courteous Magocracy , Skill Focus: Lore and Epic Skill Focus: Lore, 1/2 of the Bardic Knowledge Lore bonus.
It does NOT include the spells Identify or Legend Lore, or the skill bonus from Bard Song.
UMD requirements across the board have been bumped up by 5 across the board starting from 200gp in value, except for equipment which has set UMD requirements and Wands. For wands their UMD requirement has been adjusted to increase according to their innate level, starting at 1 and ending at 15.
Lore contribution to language understanding, effectively giving a 1% chance of understanding any given utterance for every 2 Lore points (which stack the same as they did before), capping at 25%. Language recognition scales at a rate of 10% per 2 Lore points, capping at 100%.
|innate Spell Level||Lore Req for Scroll||UMD Req For Wand|
Parry: Parried attacks have +5 AB and damage bonus equal to half the parry skill up to 20 ranks, and 1/4 beyond 20 ranks. Skill bonus from items count. Parry is a toggled mode, like the modified (Improved) Expertise.
Note: A character may only parry a number of attacks per round equal to the number of attacks per round available to that character. This is further capped at a maximum of one parry per attack flurry and there are 3 attack flurries per round.
- Parry Shield AC: +1 Shield AC Bonus per five hard parry skill points will be granted to wielder
- When fighting with a one handed weapon in the main hand, and nothing in the other.
- When not using a weapon on which you can use -twohand.
- When you are not a monk.
- When your weapon requires martial, exotic proficiency, or simple.
- When you are not using a ranged weapon.
- The AC Bonus is scaled by character BAB.
|Base Attack Bonus Required||Hard Parry Skill Required||Shield AC Bonus||Notes|
|5||5||+1||Possible at level 5|
|10||10||+2||Possible at level 10|
|15||15||+3||Possible at level 15|
|20||20||+4||Possible at level 20|
|21||25||+5||Possible at level 22|
|21||30||+6||Possible at level 27|
Persuade: Has been customized and renamed Leadership.
Pickpocketing: Has been customized and renamed Sleight of Hand.
Sleight of Hand: Specific rules about Theft apply to Sleight of Hand. These are explained in separate article about Sleight of Hand. Also; pickpocketing hostile mobs using Sleight of Hand will reward a 50% of the mob's experience up to two times per mob.
Ride: Used for Riding and the Underdark Wyvern transportation system.
Search: Search adds a chance of discovering up to two extra items when looting a corpse (max 100% at 100 Search). In a party, the largest Search bonus is used when looting. Search is also used alongside Lore in investigating bloodstains. A full explanation is given here.
Set Trap: Traps have undergone extensive changes on Arelith. See Trap for details.
Use Magic Device: UMD requirements, across the board, have been bumped up by 5 starting from 200gp in value except for equipment which has set UMD requirements and Wands. For wands, the UMD value has been adjusted to increase according to the innate level, starting at 1 and ending at 15. Many items (specially racial items made through Crafting) have an increased UMD requirement to be wielded or worn.
Note: No amount of UMD enables the use of scrolls.
Some skills cannot be added to items through enchanting.